Chateau Calon-Segur Marquis de Calon, Saint-Estephe, France
Now with 6-years in the bottle – I think everyone should try a bottle and tell me this isn’t one of the greatest values on earth!! This wine is so spot on great. The nose of perfect evolution – with a complete spice box – cigar box – box of tools – box of fruit – a box of rocks… this is my heart in a box! This is the Goldie-lox of Bordeaux – not too hard, not too tight, not too young, just right…. And I think you will adore this wine.
- 2012 -
Marquis de Calon
from Calon Segur
• “My life is in Paulliac but my heart is in Saint-Estephe”
- Marquis de Segur, 18th Century
• This comment is why the heart appears on the Calon Segur label.
• Truth is that his wife was in Paulliac but his girlfriend was in Saint-Estephe!
Why I picked it:
• Saint-Estephe is an elite cabernet growing zone and this is one of the top Estates.
• 2012 was a great vintage – classic by all accounts.
• Not many 2012’s are available, the current release is 2016 here.
• This wine is now at 6 years old and optimal anytime a great cabernet / merlot blend is called for (every day that ends in a Y)
• This makes a great gift for your loved one… or someone you want to love.
• This appears almost nowhere – so you can take it to almost any restaurant and it goes with so many amazing foods.
Château Calon-Segur is the most northern of the classified wine estates in the Medoc. It is a Third Growth estate and is in the Saint-Estephe appellation. The 130+ acres are planted to 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Franc. Robert M. Parker Jr. has written that the estate “remains the most faithful to the traditional style of long-lived wines that are slow to evolve and blossom.” The Marquis wine is the 2nd wine of the Estate and represents 1/3rd of the total production. There is also a 3rd wine … so the Marquis is a great value with really solid quality. The Calon Segur 2012 is $125-150 a bottle – 93 points Wine Spectator The Marquis de Calon is $30 a bottle - 92 points Wine Enthusiast The Calon Segur 2012 (a beauty) – is many years away from drinking and its 5x’s more expensive. The 2012 Marquis is gorgeous! No wait necessary – but will age for years… Only a couple cases are available… so don’t wait.
by Ian Blackburn
– 92 Points –
In closing: Box this up and take a case of it… only a few cases are available! *free delivery inside of 20-miles* with a $100 minimum purchase and low cost delivery all over the USA! Yes – you can assort any wines on our website to get over $100 to get the FREE DELIVERY...